Thursday, August 14, 2008

E I E I O...

And on that farm they had some
Rabbits...







Chickens...









Dogs...








And a Goat!







Well, these are some older pictures of our animals when they were quite little. Now they are all growing so big and fat and tasty and juicy....just kidding, we won't eat the dogs! No really, we are growing a few of them to eat, but I won't post their pictures unless someone wants to start bidding. We have already eaten one of our turkeys (turkey and dumplings) and a rabbit (rabbit tacos). If anyone wants the recipes email me. I hope I'm not making anyone wince with disgust while they read this, but I'm in a silly mood, and quite frankly find it comical that people are appalled at the fact we raise our own food. I'm happy that my kids know where food comes from (the ground and animals) instead of thinking the supermarkets just have ever-stocked shelves and freezers; and as a bonus we don't have to worry about all the rising costs of food and such. I'm also glad our little garden is starting to produce the bumper crop of zucchini and tomatoes I longed to have while we lived in Vegas, you don't realized how much you miss the cursed things until you don't have them. Our chickens are just weeks away from egg laying now, and Garrek is almost done with their "Hen House". For the past few months they've been living under an old utility table, that doesn't have quite the "Chicken Charm" I would like to be around while I'm gathering eggs. I'll post a picture when it's done, it's going to be awesome.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I hope your chickens produce enough eggs that you are willing to share;) I am a little more hesitant about the rabbits. You will have to make a dinner before I decide if I like the taste.

Tash said...

Cute pictures! Where are you finding the time to do all these extra-curricular activities?

Anonymous said...

I want to come and visit your place! How far from Provo are you?

Monica Buchanan said...

We need to come visit you. The boys would love to see all your animals and I could use some adult conversation.